Ionad an Bhlascaoid Mhóir/The Blasket Centre
The Blasket Centre on the mainland in Dún Chaoin on the tip of the Dingle Peninsula is a fascinating heritage centre/museum honouring the unique community who lived on the remote Blasket Islands until their evacuation in 1953.
The Centre details the community's struggle for existence, their language and culture, and the extraordinary literary legacy they left behind- classics such as The Islandman, Twenty Years A-Growing and Peig.
Léiríonn Ionad an Bhlascaoid Mhóir i nDún Chaoin scéal mhuintir an Bhlascaoid, a gcultúr agus a dtraidisiún chomh maith lenár dteanga dhúchais.
Tréigeadh an Blascaod Mór i 1953 agus tógadh an tIonad in ómós don éacht liteartha a deineadh ar an Oileán, go háirithe na saothair 'An tOileánach', 'Peig' agus 'Fiche Blian ag Fás'.
ÁISEANNA / FACILITIES
- Comprehensive exhibition including major artworks
- Documentary Film, 'Blasket Heritage', in 7 languages
- Interactive touchscreens, information panels and videos
- Exhibitions on traditional fishing & farming methods, daily life and Blasket literature
- The American Room dedicated to the Blasket emigrants who settled in America
- Detailed information on the Irish language
- Guided tours and local information available from our highly trained & friendly staff
- Well-stocked bookshop
- Restaurant overlooking the Blasket Islands
- Address: Dún Chaoin, Co Chiarraí
- Telephone: 066-9156444
- Distance from Dingle Town: 15-20km