Díseart Visitor Centre / Ionad Cuairteoirí
Since 1998, Díseart Institute of Education and Celtic Culture has occupied the former Presentation Sisters' convent on Green Street, Dingle. This beautiful, stately, neo-gothic building designed by JJ McCarthy, was home to the Presentation sisters, who first arrived in Dingle in 1829. In 1922, Sister Ita Macken commissioned one of the foremost stained glass artists of all time, Harry Clarke, to design and install 12 stained glass windows in the convent chapel.
Over the past few years, An Díseart have been delighted to open this beautiful chapel and its very special windows to the public. A mural depicting the life of Nano Nagle (1718 – 1784) founder of the Presentation Sisters, now decorates the walls of what used to be the sisters’ community room. International mural artist Eleanor Yates painted the work at the invitation of Monsignor Pádraig Ó Fiannachta, Director of the Díseart Institute. In the former Sisters Dining Room a fresco of the Last Supper has been recently painted by Eleanor Yates. The models are all local people or visitors that the artist met in Dingle and were pleased to be part of this beautiful solemn scene.
- Address: Green Street, Dingle, Co. Kerry
- Telephone: +353 (0)66 915 2476
- Website: http://www.diseart.ie/index.html
- Distance from Dingle Town: 0km