In 1891 the Tralee and Dingle Light Railway opened connecting Tralee with Dingle along one of Europe's most western railway lines. A station operated at Blennerville until the line closed in 1953. Blennerville Station was located just south of the bridge. The single track railway line was often flooded by high tidal water and trains could be delayed for hours waiting for the water to subside.
in 1993 a short 3-kilometre restored section of the line was opened but this section of railway is no longer in operation. A model railway and exhibition display can be found in Blennerville Windmill visitor centre.
The famous landmark of Blennerville Windmill was built in 1800 by order of Sir Rowland Blenerhassett. The 21 m high stone built mill has five floors and sails that measure approx 18 m. It was used for milling grain, for use by local people and for export to Great Britain.
A major project during the 1980's restored Blennerville Windmill to full working order and it was opened to the public in 1990. The visitor centre next to the windmill offers guided tours of the mill and includes a craft centre, model railway, art gallery, audio-visual presentation and restaurant.
Built in Quebec Canada in 1847 the famine ship Jeanie Johnston sailed on 24th April 1848 from Blennerville, Co. Kerry to Quebec with 193 passengers on board. Over the next seven years the ship made 16 voyages to North America carrying over 2,500 emigrants safely to the New World. She sailed to Baltimore, New York and Quebec and on those voyages never lost a passenger to disease or the sea.This was in stark contrast to the “coffin ship” reputation of other vessels who lost many passengers to hunger and disease.
A replica of The Jeanie Johnston was constructed in Blennerville and sailed to Canada and the United States in 2003. It can be seen berthed on Custom House Quay in Dublin.
Directions: From Tralee take the N86 towards Dingle.